For a bit of fun and to test your knowledge, try this Grand Union Quiz:
- The canal towpath was the focus of what national event in 1993?
- What event in 1959 dealt the final blow to commercial traffic on the Grand Union?
- The seven locks of the Buckby flight raise the canal by how much? a) 12.2m b) 19.2m c) 26.2m
- Approximately how many gallons of water are used as each lock is negotiated? a) 10,000 b) 35,000 c) 75,000
- How many miles of navigable canals and rivers form the Canal and River Trust system? a) 1,000 b) 1,500 c) 2,000
- The unique decorative bench at the bottom lock is a memorial to whom?
- What historic artifact does just about every canal boater in Britain associate with the top lock?
- The official opening of the London to Birmingham Heritage Walk.
- The opening of the M1 Motorway
- b) 19.2 metres
- c) 75,000
- c) 2,000
- The bench is in memory of Henry Grantham, lock keeper on the flight for 40 years. Made by his friend Tony Forward, it includes wood rescued from his parents’ working boat, Forget-me-not.
- The famous Buckby Can used by thousands of commercial boaters was decorated and sold at the top lock cottage next to the New Inn