For a bit of fun and to test your knowledge, try this Grand Union Quiz:
- The canal towpath was the focus of what national event in 1993?
- What event in 1959 dealt the final blow to commercial traffic on the Grand Union?
- The seven locks of the Buckby flight raise the canal by how much? a) 12.2m b) 19.2m c) 26.2m
- Approximately how many gallons of water are used as each lock is negotiated? a) 10,000 b) 35,000 c) 75,000
- How many miles of navigable canals and rivers form the Canal and River Trust system? a) 1,000 b) 1,500 c) 2,000
- The unique decorative bench at the bottom lock is a memorial to whom?
- What historic artifact does just about every canal boater in Britain associate with the top lock?